Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So I got my HP Mini Note. It's a nice little machine. No annoying lame black keys ala Apple MacBooks but otherwise very similar to the astetic design of a Mac. The express card slot is a bonus -- need to get my work to order me a Sprint card. My USB Sprint dongle looks gigantic plugged into this thing.

I plan to flip this model on eBay when HP releases the ATOM version so I can run OSX86 on it. For now I'll settle with Windows. I was going to use Linux but about 2 minutes after starting it up I was already having Linux issues with wireless so that was a hint not to waste my time on it. 

Another really stupid thing: Apparently HP disables online updates for SUSE. I fumbled around for about 15m trying to find the update site for YaST but, again, it just seemed like a waste of time. 

Keyboard is good but the flatness of the keys and spacing is a little weird. Better than any other small form factor keyboard I've used but that's not saying a whole lot. The placement of the buttons on the side of the touchpad is a very smart move. You can rest your finger on the edge without hitting them by accident. 

Overall this is pretty close to the product Apple should have released yesterday. 

No comments: