Monday, October 27, 2008

NAS things

So I got iSCSI working with the GlobalSAN iSCSI initiator. It wasn't entirely obvious that you had to "Map LUN" in OpenFiler to make things work. In fact, nothing in OpenFiler is very obvious. I'm not digging it so much. I think it would be OK if you were starting fresh but it's just not designed to pickup existing volumes. Everything has to be LVM based. I suspect FreeNAS is setup in a similar way. The installer kept hanging on my hardware so I don't know. I'm not too keen on using any software I have to fight with so it's not really an option.

iSCSI is definitely neat. I'm thinking of lots of different ways to use it already. If I actually want to use OpenFiler though I'm going to need to invest in some new storage and start fresh with LVM. Geeks.com still has those $50 500GB drivers so I'm thinking:

6x500GB in RAID5 = 2.5TB (maybe a hot spare too)

And I can setup the existing drives in RAID mirrors.

250GB for audio
300GB RAID stripe for Logic -- although I don't know if iSCSI is going to increase disk IO latency too much. Need to research that.

Plus whatever other left overs I have for TimeMachine backups, document backups, etc.


No comments: