Saturday, December 27, 2008

Che

Great film. I can't wait to see Part Two. The depth of the story telling is really refreshing for a modern "bio-pic" I'm always disappointed by the very casual entertainment oriented approach of most of these films. The truth is, history is actually complex, sometimes mundane, and almost always a spider web of related events that requires the viewer to have some clue. It's very hard to simplify a movement, revolution, war or lifetime into a 2 hour movie and do the topic any justice at all. I understand the point of most films is entertainment but given that fact I wonder why bother making this type of film a all if you're not going to take it seriously? Just make Batman Part 8 and everyone will be happy. Leave the real serious films to people who are willing to approach the topic properly even if it means not being a commercial success.

Anyway I can't really review a movie in detail so I won't bother trying. All I can say is the acting, direction, screenplay -- everything is fantastic. The pacing of the movie really stood out to me. Nothing feels too rushed or simplified. Everything seems to play out in some scale model of real time. It's a film that takes its time when it needs to but moves the story forward also. I'm interested in watching it again already which is a rarity. Usually I don't need to see even a good movie more than once every 4 or 5 years. It would be very interesting to que up the Motorcycle Diaries before watching Part One. I haven't seen it in many years but I seem to remember it being an excellent film also.

No comments: